Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Ghostly Ex-Lover

I guess not doing a review in a while does help in some ways. This will make my third one today as far as writing goes. Only the second movie watched since I watched one of them yesterday. To be honest though, these movies I am working through now are not full length since they were made for TV. Each disk comes with two of the movies from the set, one movie on each side. My DVD drive was vibrating while playing this disk, so I am hoping it was just the disk and not my DVD drive going out. Always something going wrong it feels like sometimes. The next movie up was Spectre (2006). The actual title is Regreso a Moira, which doesn't translate into Spectre. It actually translates into Return To Moira which actually works a bit better as far as the title goes.

Tomás (Jordi Dauder) is returning to his home town in Spain after being away for over 40 years. His wife has recently passed away when he got a tarot card called The Lovers. The card means something to him, and he feels that only one person could have given it to him, but she died just before he left Spain behind. When Tomás was 16 (now played by Juan José Ballesta), him and his friends start to talk about the woman who has recently moved into a house just outside of the town. They don't know much about Moira (Natalia Millán) except for the rumors that are mostly told by their mothers. As it goes, Moira hooks up with men at night, and they also say she is a witch. Tomás and his friends decide to see what Moira looks like. Tomás is the bravest, he actually goes right up to her window, but as he starts to leave, he falls and hits his head hard. When he wakes up, he finds himself in Moira's bed. Tomás soon finds that he is fascinated by Moira and falls in love with her. But what happened that drives him out of Spain?

Spectre was directed by Mateo Gil. This is the first time I have come across this director I do believe. Much like Blame, which is on the same disc, Spectre is more about the characters than it is the horror. In fact, Spectre spends more time in the past than it does in the present. Since we have no idea what has happened in the past with Tomás and Moira, it makes since that the majority of the movie is set there. The pacing was very slow. It was so slow paced that even I was starting to get bored with it. It isn't that I minded a coming of age story, it was more that nothing scary was happening...at all! What is happening in the present could have been a little creepy if it wasn't for the fact that not much time is spent there until the end of the movie. The only thing that breaks things up some in the story that takes place in the past is a few sex scenes. Nothing is actually shown of course, but it was still a little surprising to see all the same. There is even a little bit of nudity shown. That aside, the plot felt a little wasted as the horror part of it could have been there. It is never said if Moira is a witch or not. She is into tarot cards somewhat, even though we never see her use them, and at times she sort of talks like a witch. Like when telling Tomás how she feels about him, how she is the spinner of his destiny. Something bad does happen to Moira, but even that doesn't manage to push Spectre into a scary movie.

Not a whole lot of special effects. There are some makeup effects that look real good, but that is about it. I don't want to go into what those effects are, since it will spoil the plot just a little bit. The acting is where it is at in Spectre. Natalia Millán manages to be slightly mysterious while being sexy at the same time. She does a great job, and it is easy to see why a guy could fall for her. Juan José Ballesta also does a great job. I wasn't real sure of him at first, but as the story played out, the more I liked his acting.

Oddly enough, Spectre also deals with abortion. It isn't the center of the plot, like it was for Blame, but it does pop up. I was ready to give Spectre my middle rating when it was starting to come to a close. Even though I was getting a little bored at times, I couldn't fault the story itself for that. It isn't a bad story at all, just very slow at times. As the ending was getting near, I started to wonder if there was going to be a twist to the ending. With the way the story was starting to play out in the present, I made a guess at what the twist might be. There is a twist, and I did call it. Since it isn't hard at all to figure out what is going to happen in the end, it just made it that much more boring to me. I wanted to like Spectre, and I do to a certain extent, I just can't give it my middle rating after all. If you really like character driven movies though, you should give it a try. It is entertaining, as long as you can get pass the very slow pace.
2 out of 5 Wonder what rumors my neighbors have about me

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar