The first of the month post on the 2nd of the month.
This is the August page from The Illustrated Country Year by Celia Lewis
and the adjoining page with a folklore rhyme I've not come across anywhere else
Yesterday was Lammas..........the 1st of August was one of the Celts 'cross quarter' days. The dates that fall between the solstices and equinoxes that were used to mark the agricultural year. It was called Lughnasad Day after the Celtic God Lugh. According to ninth century Anglo-Saxon records Lammas or "hlaf-mass" meaning Loaf-Mass or Feast of Bread was celebrated as the start of harvest. The first loaf made from the years harvest was taken to church to be blessed and sacrificed so that all could be fed from the rest of the harvest.
Looking back at what I'd written for previous 1st August posts and came across this, which I'd forgotten - but the bit about making the most of our time while we are here is a good thing to remember...............Apparently I found this in one of the old Folklore diaries.
The act of sacrifice at harvest is a reminder that we all follow the same path of life and death and reminds us to make the most of our time whilst we are here. Consider the passing of the summer and enjoy the bounties it has brought us and think how best to prepare for the coming autumn and winter.
Before the latest spell of rain the combines were out everywhere cutting the first of the barley, it will be a few more weeks before the wheat is ready, even if........
After Lammas Day corn ripens by night as by day.
I saw details of this little book and found it for a few pounds on abebooks.
Still doesn't explain why the plant growing in this country is called The Ploughmans Spikenard, as it's nothing like Honeysuckle and probably isn't at all precious.
I do enjoy tracking down information.

0 Yorumlar